1.20.2022

It's Possible... A VBAC in Thirty Minutes or Less

This is a throwback post that I didn't publish many moons ago. For those mamas to be who are contemplating a VBAC: vaginal birth after c-section. Yes, I too had an emergency C-Section with my first and it was TRAUMATIZING!


I had a VBAC baby in 2012 and looking back I'm glad I decided to try. 

____________________________


We spent the first thirty days post-partum in a traditional Vietnamese rest period. I guess it wasn't that bad since it was rainy and cold. With two kids now, there were a few days of near delirium. They always want their mommy at the same time...why is that?


It's a scary and tough decision because many OBs may automatically sign you up for your second or third c-section. I was lucky that my OB encouraged me to try to have a birth naturally even though I was second-guessing myself. We made an agreement that I would try and she'd still schedule a c-section just in case. 


In the weeks before giving birth I kept hearing some women share they preferred having a c-section because it was convenient and they could plan for it. Was I going to be one of those women? It did sound logical but I was determined to experience a natural birth. I also remembered that the recovery was pretty slow after my c-section not to mention painful. I didn't want to go through that exhaustion again. 


Often mothers are told "Once a C-section, always a C-Section" - it's simply not true. 


I did a few things differently and decided to break a few rules so I wouldn't be exhausted and be at risk for another c-section. 


- I took my time going to the hospital after the contractions. During my first birth, I rushed to the hospital because I felt like I had to. I didn't eat and so I was starving by the time I pushed. 


- I almost took too much time because, by the time we arrived at the hospital, Camille was in the position to be born!


- Thirty minutes after my arrival, I gave birth. No time for drugs. I was awake and could see my baby girl instantly. 


Now I tell other women that a VBAC is possible and that they should be paired up with an OB that supports them. It's hard to put aside the trauma of the first c-section but mentally preparing for a VBAC pays off. I encourage anyone who is thinking about it to talk with their OB about their wishes. Many of us have done it.


Remember decide what's best for you. Here are great tips!


#vbac #naturalbirth #postcsection



                                                                        MY VBAC BABY!




No comments:

A Kitchen Pan for Family Fun

One of my cooking goals was to learn how to make Vietnamese Bahn Khot which is made of tapioca flour and coconut and is a morsel of deliciou...