10.26.2009

Solo Trip--Going Away without Baby

I’m going to New York for four days without my son or husband. It will be my first solo trip since Kai was born sixteen months ago. Honestly, I’m mostly excited but do feel a little bit of guilt and nervousness.

A few months ago, a co-worker shared with me that she never did anything for herself after her kids were born. For seventeen years, she didn’t go on any solo trips or jump at the invitations for girl’s night out.

I’ve always believed in having “me” time and nurturing myself. It's the key to our happiness. I need a reminder of what my life was like pre-marriage and baby. There was such a thing. On my trip, I look forward to reading a novel, sleeping in late, carrying only my stuff, and staying out all night. This trip will be a test and practice for me. In the spring, I’m off to a writer’s residency for seven days without them again.

If you have the urge to take a trip away from mom duties, go for it. I think it will make us better moms in the end.

No comments:

A Kitchen Pan for Family Fun

One of my cooking goals was to learn how to make Vietnamese Bahn Khot which is made of tapioca flour and coconut and is a morsel of deliciou...